The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are one of the most prestigious international scholarships in the world. Scholarships are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Scholarship Value: Gates Cambridge Scholarships encompasses the entire cost of studying at Cambridge, which includes coverage for tuition fees, a maintenance allowance (valued at £18,384 for 12 months based on the 2022-23 rate), travel expenses, visa expenses, and other related costs. Moreover, it goes beyond by offering additional discretionary funding, such as support for academic development, a family allowance, funding for fieldwork, and more.
This comprehensive scholarship aims to provide scholars with all the necessary financial support to excel in their academic pursuits and personal growth while studying at the University of Cambridge.
Country and University of Study: University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
Level/Field of study: PhD, MSc or MLitt, or a one year postgraduate course in any subject offered at the University.
Number of Awards: About 80 scholarships are awarded each year.
Eligibility: You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are;
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study: PhD (three year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- already a student at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course. For example, if you are studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a PhD. However, if you have already started a course, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the rest of it.
How To Apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Applicants submit their application for admission and funding (Gates Cambridge and other funding) via the University’s Graduate Application Portal.
To be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship you must complete the section to apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section. Gates Cambridge has access to the full application for admission and funding when reviewing applications. See full application process.
- outstanding intellectual ability
- leadership potential
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- a good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying
For more information, visit the official scholarship webpage.